License Renewal questions

After you have finished your C's and have your license, it is my understanding that, during your career, ASHA requires $225 per year to maintain your license, plus your state charges an additional fee for licensure (I think mine is $100). In my state, we have to do 10 hours per year of continuing how does that work and how much does that cost? For instance, if you take one class on, how many credits can you get? Does one $100 class get you only one continuing ed credit? In general, are online classes how most SLP's maintain their continuing ed? I don't mind paying ASHA/state fees, but I think continuing ed could get expensive. Anyone out there have insight into this?

Also, what if you want to take a few years off for family or other reasons. Is it easy to pay to reinstate your license if it lapses, or do you have to take the boards all over again?

Thanks for the info!
I have found that there are lots of free ways to get CEU's. My clinic offers free CEU's for our trainings that we go to. Linguisystems and Super Duper offer free CEU's.

You can join for $99 and that covers unlimited CEU's for a year. Most of them will be an hour, so you need to do ten of them throughout the year but that averages out to $10 per credit hour so it's not that bad.

Remember, too, that you do not need to pay for ASHA membership if you are not interested in being a member. You DO need to pay for your ASHA certification. I'm not sure of the amounts but I know that a lot of people think that they need to be a member in order to be certified and that is not true!
Also... don't let your license lapse! You would probably be safe but if the rules of getting licensed in your state happen to change when you are without a license, you run the risk of having to go back and take additional courses or take another test or something like that. If you just pay the fee to keep your license you wouldn't have to worry about any of that.
Thank so much! This info was super-helpful! For some reason I thought you had to pay $100 per class x 10 classes per year, which is alot of money! I'm glad to hear that it's umlimited!!! And thanks for the info on ASHA membership vs. certification...I learn something new every day!

And you're right, it sounds like it's just better to keep the certification going. I searched my state's licensing dept (Ohio) and learned that they just started something new where you can pay $25/year to be listed as "inactive", but you still have to do CEU's and pay the $100 fee to get reinstated. I think that is worth looking in to, and then you can reactivate again when you go back to work! I don't know much more than that, but it's nice they are giving us that option!
We just went over this in class!

If you're a recent graduate, it costs approximately $460 to get your CCCs. After that, it's about $120 per year to renew your CCCs. Not all states require you to have your CCCs for your license. This is just your ASHA certification and ISN'T required in all states. A License, however, is required in all states (I believe). I don't currently know how much that costs. However, it's a great thing to get your CCCs and I'm not saying "don't get your CCCs."

As far as CEUs go, if you have time and money, you could easily get them all at your State's convention or at the ASHA convention. Otherwise, check for CEUs in your area, some will probably be free.

No idea if you have to retake the exam, I don't think so.
On a somewhat related note...
...if you get married after you have your license and CCC's and your name changes, do you have to pay for them again? I'm engaged right now and someone told me to make sure to get married before I pay for certification because otherwise I will have to pay twice. Does anyone know if this is true?

(Sorry to post on this thread...I don't know how to start a new topic...)
Re: On a somewhat related note...
that is silly, tell that someone to shove off. =) i'm pretty sure you just call to update your information when your name changes.

ASHA does not license. ASHA certifies - there's a BIG difference. Only states can license. You have the choice of being certified and a member, or just certified. If you have a NSSLHA National membership for 2 years before you graduate, you have the opportunity to get your ASHA CCCs (and membership) less money. From the website: "with the Conversion Discount you can join ASHA for $336." I was told to wait until after my CFY was completed (so I had a few months w/ no membership - but could still access journals). I joined w/ the conversion plan and had 18 months of membership. No CEUs were required during the first year.

Someone already answered the speechpathology question. Also, when attend conferences - state, local, national; various workshops, etc. many of those are able to be taken for credit. You can use your licensing credits to also be your ASHA credits - provided they are ASHA approved. I am required 10 CEUs/year by my state - ASHA requires 30 every 3 years. As long as I make sure my state CEUs are ASHA approved - I have no problem. ASHA approved CEUs are automatically approved by my state. No CEUs were required during my first partial year of state licensure.

Each state varies slightly about license lapsing. However, there is typically a Late FEE plus you may have to pay back past years of licensing - AND - show you've continued CEUs AND if it's been long enough - retake national exams.

When you get your CCCs ASHA sends a letter stating they are unable to send duplicate certificates. I dont' believe you would need to pay a 2nd time - but I would strongly suggest you contact the ASHA Action Center to get the absolutely correct answer.
Members: 800-498-2071
Non-Member: 800-638-8255
Fax: 301-296-8580
TTY (Text Telephone Communication Device): 301-296-5650
depending on where you work, any or all of what you are talking about may be paid for. my job pays for my annual asha dues, my license renewal fees, and i have 1 paid day a year (on top of my regular vacation time) plus an allowance of $400 to use for continuing education costs. (for example, i went to asha in new orleans last year, and the $400 covered the fee for the convention, and i used what was left over to help with airfare/hotel. if i was going to philly this year, it's much closer, and i could have used the leftover money to completely cover the entire trip.) i have colleagues who work for different companies who get even more of an allowance for continuing ed costs. i happen to have a license for another state, just to have it, which i pay for myself.

i would highly recommend not letting your license lapse... it's far easier to just pay the fees every year, and have the opportunity to work PRN in the meantime, rather than having to go through the whole process! i work in the medical setting and there are definitely SLPs in our PRN pool who used to work full time somewhere, but stopped to have children, or to begin a new career in a different (but related) field (e.g. one of our PRN SLPs works for a pharmaceutical company; i think one of the PRN PTs works with a prosthetics/orthotics vendor). the process depends on the state, and i know some states are far stricter than others. i know ny and ca specifically tend to make things pretty complicated. if you have the funds to keep your license up... just don't let it lapse.

a quick note on continuing ed - .1 = 1 hour, so 3.0 = 30 hours. the number of units you get varies per course, but you know that if it will last 4 hours, you should get .4 units.
Your job seems wonderful! What type of hospital do you work at? I'm near Philly too and I would love to work at a hospital once I graduate this May. By the way, what does PRN stand for?