Speech and Language Pathology

Entries by tag: license

[sticky post]Before You Post About Grad Schools...
Before making a "Will I get in?" post about graduate schools, please do the following:

1.  Check out this entry found here.
2.  Read past entries for ideas - Graduate School tag is a good starting place.
3.  Check the program website for the school you are applying to, many times they have information about average GPA/GRE scores, employment rate post grad, etc.

The reason we're asking this of you is because we tend to get a huge influx of graduate school posts around this time of year and many of your questions have been answered before.  If you truly cannot find your answer, feel free to post your graduate school question. =)

California Teaching Credential?
This may be a long shot, but hopefully someone has had experience with this (or at least a slightly better clue than me!)

I just finished my CFY and got my CCCs a couple days ago. I got my MS from Illinois, and my CF was completed at a SNF in Wisconsin. My husband got a job offer in California and we will be moving there by the end of the summer. In order to look better for recruiters/broaden the number of places I can apply, I hope to get the CA certification to teach in public schools.

Bad news though-- it appears that for individuals prepared out-of-state, they must have either a) completed a program in a state that is similar enough to CA that it is on their equivalency list. Illinois is not on it. or b) Be licensed to work K-12 in public schools in the state they graduated from. Since I went straight to WI after my CFY, I never got the IL school license. And in IL, I believe you are only eligible for license to work in public schools if you had 100hrs of practicum in a public school. I interned at a private school.

So... am I completely screwed, or does anyone know if there is a way to get around this/entity I should try to speak to?

Thank you!

bilingual extension- CF-CEUs
Hi all,

I am currently a CF and completing a bilingual extension program. I wanted to know if I can get CEUs credit for doing the extension program? (once I'll have my C's).

Also, what are the current rates for bilingual pathologists practicing in NY?

Thank you!

TSPC Licensing...who is required to have it?
Hi everyone, I am a 2nd year grad student in Oregon. My cohort mates and I are trying to figure out how important TSPC licensure (in addition to state board licensure) is for school based SLPs. Here in Oregon some of the districts require it, some don't. Curious how the rest of the country looks...anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm having a hard time imagining when I will be able to squeeze in three or four more college courses on top of everything else! I'm also still seriously considering working with adults so I'd hate to go through all of that only to work in a district or section of the field where it isn't necessary. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

California RPE/CFY
I submitted my Required Professional Experience (RPE) application (Steps #1-5) about 2 weeks ago. How long does it usually take to process? Are we supposed to get approved for Steps #1-5 and THEN start working? Also, Steps #6-10 can be completed while doing your CFY?

I tried calling the State Board but no one ever answers the phone :/

Foreign Credential Evaluation Updates-- It's complete!
Hi all!  Sorry in advance for the long post, I just wanted to be very detailed! I posted a few months back about returning to the US from doing my grad degree in Australia to seek out any advice!  I just wanted to provide an update of the process that I went through so that if anyone else needs to go through the same thing they won't as confused as I was!

Once I got my official transcript from Australia, I sent it to a foreign credential evaluation agency (there's a whole bunch listed on the ASHA website) who translated the degree and the courses to American credits.  I used  A2Z Evaluations (highly highly highly recommend!  such a wonderful and informative gentleman runs the company) who sent me, ASHA and the Texas licensing board an official copy of the letter for their reference.  This usually takes about 2-3 weeks, but I paid for rush service and it was finished in 3 days.   The evaluation was just a tad under $200.

As soon as I received the letter, I sent through my official graduate and undergraduate transcript and my ASHA application (and ASHA fees) for their evaluation to ensure that my coursework and practicum experience matched with ASHA requirements.  I heard back 4 weeks later with a letter in the mail stating that I could start my CFY! Throughout this waiting period, I was able to get in contact with the evaluator at ASHA and she was super informative and really easy to reach (surprisingly?).   They definitely check to ensure that you have all of the required coursework, but will count undergraduate courses as part of it.  I was lucky enough to take a Language and the Brain course in undergrad that counted for one of the science requirements (I'm not sure which one) that covered a gap in my grad courses.

Once I got that approval from ASHA, I started the job search (or really spent some long hours calling, emailing, etc.) in order to find a supervisor so that I could send in the paperwork for the Texas SLP-Intern License (what you hold during your CFY).  I was lucky enough to find a fantastic position in a SNF with great supervision and seemingly great support, got the required signatures on forms, completed fingerprinting, etc. and sent it all in to Texas License department and got verification online that the license had been approved 4 days after I sent everything in (talk about efficiency!!).

Overall, it took me 3 months to get everything sorted and start working once I started the chain of events.

To sum up, it's definitely do-able to study overseas, although there is a lot more paperwork coming back to start a CFY here in the US.  License requirements will vary from state to state, but everywhere that I've looked has very clear guidelines for international applicants. I've also made a bunch of phone calls and have found everyone I have spoken to very helpful.

I'm happy to answer any questions that anyone might have about studying overseas, getting jobs abroad (well as much information as I have about it), or the process once you get back, but I just wanted to give an update that everything has sorted itself out! 

License after attending out of state school
I am from IL and will be looking for a job in the IL schools upon graduating with my master's this May.  My graduate degree will be from an out of state university (NC).

My question is will I need to obtain certification first in NC and then immediately apply again to IL? Or do I apply directy for IL licensure/certification? I obviously would love to skip over the step of applying for NC licensure since I will not be working there. I've tried to contact a few people about this and I seem to be getting conflicting answers.

I know it's not uncommon for people to go out of state for grad school, has anyone else gone through this process before? I am completely overwhelmed with exactly what steps I need to be taking, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Seeking advice on licensure, certification
Hello all!

I am a second year graduate student preparing to finish a Master's program in Speech Pathology in August. I am trying to organize a timeline for when to complete each step of paperwork upon graduation and am seeking any information you may have for when to apply for ASHA certification and/or a state license.

Specifically, I am trying to figure out:
1. If I should apply for my ASHA certification after I obtain my master's degree OR after I complete my CFY year.
2. If I need to obtain a state license before completing my CF year.
3. If yes to #2, if I should obtain a state license before I start applying to jobs (I may be interested in relocating and don't want to go through the process unless I'm sure I'll have a job in that state).

To sum up, I guess I am confused as to what credentials I need before my CF year and which I receive upon completion of that year.

Thank you in advance for your inputs!


Out of state degree and obtaining a California service credential
Hey all, I know this is a really specific question, but my fingers are crossed that someone here can help. 

I am attending grad school in PA but plan on moving back to California next year and am thinking of doing my CF in a school, which of course requires a special service credential. My state has reciprocal requirements for school-based SLPs, but in PA one of the school requirements is an education course, which, for various reasons, I am not taking. The other is a public school practicum, which I am going to do.

After looking at the CA licensing board website, it is still very unclear as to whether I will need an education course to work in the schools out there. I've sent them an email, but no response so far. I suppose they'll answer me eventually, but in the meantime, does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Provisional License Application
Hello everyone. I had a quick question. I have already been hired as a CF at a post acute facility to begin sometime in September. I graduate in August. My question is, at what point am I supposed to submit my application to the department of health for my provisional license?

Thanks :-)
Tags: ,

You are viewing speechpathology